A good week!
- After July being such an awful month, I had to get my spending under control. What I want is to be spending substantially less than I earn, every month. In order to achieve that, I basically need to stop spending money most days, in the same vein as my by-nothing-days challenge. I am very pleased that in the last seven days, I have only spent money on one single day! This month is going so much better than July’s.
- Remembered to pack breakfast and lunch every working day this week. This saves a substantial amount of money, and I’d been really bad about this last month. It was helped by the fact that we’ve had some cheese in the house due to having guests – and nothing is easier than a cheese sandwich!
- Walked home from work on Wednesday. It’s just under 5 miles, so I always take a bus, but the weather was good and it was wonderful to walk through the countryside in the blazing sun. I figure it’s frugal, as it’s healthy, and having good health is ultimately cheaper than not.
- Hung washing on the line, on racks, and over the bannister rather than use the tumble-dryer. We are still running the water heater, but we don’t have heating and we don’t have any cooling or fans. Just lovely open windows and a coastal breeze.
- My partner is making a storage box for our camping trips out of wood from an old futon we stashed in the attic about eight years ago. We are really keen on using up supplies we already have, and this is a fantastic reuse of material that would otherwise go to the tip.
This week has honestly been such a relief after last month. Whilst we have lots of camping trips and trips to see friends, and I’m sure this coming weekend will be expensive, I feel like having spent the first ten days of the month solidly under my belt in terms of almost-zero expenditure has made me feel a lot less awful about my spending.
As ever, this post is inspired by Katy’s blog.